Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Wrens

Show: The Wrens at Slim's
Headliner: The Wrens
Openers: Parchman Farm, The Decoration
Location: Slim's in San Francisco, CA
Date: Friday, December 2, 2005

It's been a long time since I've been to a show.

I got to the show late. I was able to listen to the Decoration from outside the club, but I wans't able to get inside to listen. I didn't get to see them, but they seemed ok.

After meeting up with my friend, we got our tickets and got in to see Parchamn Farm. What can I say about this band? Not much. 3 guitars and a drummer, just jamming away. Nothing really caught my attention. Not that anything was bad, but just a lot of eh.

Finally, the Wrens came on. This is the second time I've seen them live. They claimed that they all live in a house in Jersey, and never rehearse. I could see that being the case. It hurts the performance in terms of songsmanship, but everything lost their is regained in how much energy the have. It's amazing how a depresing song about breaking up can be belted out with so much energy. A good time. They hit alomst everything on "The Meadowlands," which I appreciated since I never dug out their back catalog. They did do a few old songs though, which kept it interesting for me.

They played a very solid and enjoyable 1.5 hour set (including encore). At no point was I ecstatic, but a very very reliably fun and solid show. Which is certainly something of a great deal of value. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home