Saturday, March 03, 2007

Noise Pop Night #4

Show: Ted Leo in Noise Pop
Headliner: Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
Openers: Georgie James, So Many Dynamos, Pony Come Lately
Location: Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, CA
Date: Friday, March 2, 2007
2007 Show #: 3

This is my second draft of this, having lost the first draft to a firefox crash. This is the Noise Pop show I was most (only?) looking forward to. It was a pretty uninspiring line up this year. Fortunately, it delivered.

I got to Great American late, so unfortunately missed most of Pony Come Lately's set. The guide says they're a San Francisco "super group," for what it's worth. I enjoyed what I heard though, and I'm looking to learn more about these guys.

Next up was So Many Dynamos. This was the only real down point of the show, and it wasn't that down. It just didn't do anything for me. And for no obvious reason. Plenty of energy, but just didn't get any response. A head scratcher, but I won't be looking for any more from them.

Next up was Georgie James, formed by of the former members of Q and Not U. And it was like having an average rock band infused with the post-ness of Q and Not U. It made for enjoyable music, and an enjoyable set. I will definitely be looking for more from this band, and I anxiously look forward for the chance to hear their album when it comes out.

Finally was Ted Leo. This was the only band I knew anything about before coming to the show, but I was very excited. Ted Leo came on at 10:50 pm, and point a fantastic 70 minute main set. He mixed new (a new CD coming out next week) and old stuff. I mostly dug the old stuff, not being as excited about the new CD coming out. But I did enjoy it, even if the new stuff played a lot more dead then the old stuff. The highlight of noise pop so far. The encore was 4 songs. The first song was just Ted Leo playing solo, and the last song was a cover of a Chumbawumba song I didn't recognize (thankfully not Tumbthumping). An excellent set, from a band known to be a top performer.

Good times.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home